In the 14th century, Verrier Du Bosq signed the first recorded deeds for a few vine rows. George Smith, a Scottish wine merchant, acquired the property in the mid-18th century and named it after himself.
Lodi Martin Duffour-Dubergier, Mayor of Bordeaux and signer of the official 1855 classification, acquired the estate in 1842 and elevated it to Grand Cru Exceptionnel status.
Lodi Martin Duffour Dubergier
In the early 20th century, the négociant firm Eschenauer, headed by the famous “Uncle Louis” Eschenauer, sold Smith Haut Lafitte wines and ended up buying the château in 1958.
In 1990, Daniel and Florence Cathiard fell in love with Château Smith Haut Lafitte, which they acquired with the firm intention of perpetuating its tradition of excellence. “Our philosophy can be summed up in one sentence: to do everything possible to make each vintage of red and white wine worthy of our magnificent terroir.”
After three years spent renovating the estate, the Cathiards came to live there, in the 18th century chartreuse dating from George Smith’s time, in order to devote themselves to overseeing winegrowing, with the help of a talented and motivated team.